Words of wisdom given with love

Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why Pray - Swami Vishwananda and Christ

Swami Vishwananda Praying:
Swami Vishwananda explains why it is so important to pray regularly: People ask the question, “Swamiji, why do we have to go to temples? Why do we have to go to prayers to pray?” I tell them: Praying is also a part of Sadhana. This is also why we go to pilgrimage places. These are places where all the energies are gathered in one place.When you go to prayer or when you go to spiritual places, to holy places, you are always going to gain something. You are profiting from all the prayers and all the vibrations which have been collected in those placees.

When you go to holy places, your sadhana gets amplified; it becomes more intense and more powerful. The same thing occurs when you sit down (for meditation) in the same place every day and at the same time, you build up certain energy. When you chant the same Mantra again and again, the energy gets built up. Do not think that when you get up from that place the energy is dissipated. The energy is always there. It’s solely defined at that place when you sit regularly for prayer or meditation.

How Did Jesus Pray
Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane before the crucifixion: “Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will’” (Matthew 26:39)
Jesus prayed for guidance in places of quiet solitude
- “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed” (Mark 1:35)

“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” (Luke 5:16).

Jesus prayed for His disciples and for all believers (all people) -“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name-the name you gave me-so that they may be one as we are one” (John 17:11

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message (Jesus' disciples), that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you” (John 17:20-21).

Jesus prayed in praise to God, the Father - “At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure’” (Luke 10:21).

Jesus prayed prayers of thanksgiving - “While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, ‘Take it; this is my body’” (Mark 14:22),

Jesus prayed in a posture and with an attitude of reverent submission - “Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will’” (Matthew 26:39).

Jesus prayed in times of anguish – “And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground” (Luke 22:44).

“About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’” (Matthew 27:46

Another example of how Jesus prayed may be found inThe Lord’s Prayer” located in Matthew 6:5-15. This is the time when Jesus taught the disciples how to pray.

Jesus prayed without expectation for He knew the Father heard His prayers and would respond.

Reference Link:
http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/how-did-jesus-pray-faq.htm

No comments: